Click to Home

Go To Search
FacebookTwitterFind & Follow
How to File a Complaint of Discrimination


The Human Relations Department has authority to accept formal complaints of discrimination in the areas of employment, housing, and public accommodations. The problem must have occurred in Frederick County. In an employment complaint, the employer must have more than four employees. The problem must have occurred in the last six months, or the problem is of a continuing nature. After six months, your right to file the complaint locally, ends.

You must be able to state why you believe the problem occurred -- because of your national origin, disability, sex (gender only), marital status, religion, source of income (housing only), familial status (housing only), race or age. Exceptions apply (all situations are not covered by law).

Be prepared with exact or approximate dates of occurrences and the names of other people who have had similar concerns but with different treatment.  Keep all documentation related to the problem.

If you have a concern, let us discuss it.  You may call our office, or walk in (Mon-Fri., 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.), services are free and confidential.  Evening hours are available by appointment.  We can be reached by telephone at 301-600-1109, 711 for Maryland Relay Services, or visit the office at 5370 Public Safety Place, Frederick, MD. 

The Department also provides equal opportunity information. Calls from employers and organizations are welcome. If we can prevent discrimination from occurring or help the employer understand what may be considered appropriate steps in individual situations, such inquiries contribute to our goal of full equity for all, and the elimination and prevention of illegal bias.