Rabies COMAR Information
If an animal at your facility is exhibiting signs of rabies or may have been in contact with a rabid animal, please adhere to the
Rabies COMAR for Individual Situations
. Any questions can be directed to the Environmental Health Office at 301-600-1717.
• If the animal is exhibiting signs of rabies, it should be euthanized and sent for testing.
- Euthanized animals can be submitted directly to the Health Department, through the State Animal Lab (301-600-1548), or through Animal Control (301-600-1544).
- If submitting directly to the Health Department, please use the rabies submission form found below and follow the correct specimen preparation directions found in the
Rabies COMAR for Individual Situations.
• If the animal has a wound of unknown origin, contact the Health Department or refer to the Rabies COMAR for Individual Situations.
• If a pet is put under a 45-day or 6-month quarantine and requires a booster shot, the booster should be given at the beginning of the quarantine period.
Rabies Submission Form:
General Fact Sheet for Veterinarians:
Maryland Department of Health & Mental Hygiene
COMAR 10.06.02 Rabies
The Health Department’s Environmental Health office has staff on call each weekend to cover rabies exposures and emergencies. To reach the on-call Environmental Health staff, call the Frederick County Communications Center at 301-600-1603, and they will contact the supervisor on call regarding the emergency.
: Please leave the Communications Center with a phone number where you can be reached.
Powered by CivicPlus
350 Montevue Lane
Frederick, MD 21702