Click to Home

Go To Search
FacebookTwitterFind & Follow
Rose Hill Timeline 

Land & Ownership History

  • 1727 - Benjamin Tasker gets 7,000 acres from Lord Baltimore, which is later sold to Daniel Dulaney
  • 1745 - Daniel Dulaney lays out the plan for Frederick City within the land grant known as Tasker's Chance
  • 1748 - Hans Peter Hoffman purchases from Daniel Dulaney land, that was later to be known as Rose Garden, along the old Georgetown Pike
  • 1764 - George Hoffman inherits Rose Garden
  • 1778 - Thomas Johnson purchases land and renames it Rose Hill
  • 1788 - Thomas Johnson gives land to his daughter, Ann Jennings, on the eve of her wedding to John Colin Grahame
  • 1789-1792 - John Colin and Ann Jennings (Johnson) Grahame Build the manor house
  • 1793 - Grahame purchases Indian Fields, the 202 acres adjacent to Rose Hill
  • 1800 - Thomas Johnson is living at Rose Hill
  • 1833 - Colonel John McPherson, nephew-in-law, purchases Rose Hill following John Colin Grahame's death in order to help Ann Jennings (Johnson) Grahame stay on the property until her death in 1837
  • 1837 - William Slater, owner
  • 1843 - George Slater, owner
  • 1845 - John Wilson, owner
  • 1853 - David O. Thomas, owner
  • 1853 - David O. Thomas, owner
  • 1893 - Margaret (Thomas) Myer, owner
  • 1906 - Noah Cramer, owner
  • 1927 - James Cramer, owner
  • 1957 - Alice (Cramer) Bowman, owner
  • 1964 - 50 acre parcel sold to Frederick County for a school site

Park & Museum History
  • 1968 - Frederick County Commissioners purchased remainder of Rose Hill property (43.3 acres). Funding is received from Project Open Space and Frederick City to establish Rose Hill as the first County Park.
  • 1971 - Rose Hill Manor is listed on the National Register of Historic Places
  • 1972 - Rose Hill Manor Park Master Plan Committee develops and adopts a Children's Museum Program for education of elementary school-aged children. The Children's Museum Advisory Board was established and the Manor House first floor opened for tours.
  • 1975 - Manor Gardens opens
  • 1976 - Carriage Museum (Robert H. Renneberger collection) opens
  • 1977 - Log Cabin exhibit opens; Farm Museum Association is established
  • 1980 - Blacksmith Shop exhibit opens
  • 1982 - Manor upstairs Master Bedroom and Governor's Study exhibits open
  • 1984 - Master Plan Revision
  • 1986 - Manor upstairs Domestic's Bedroom exhibit opens
  • 1988 - All Manor upstairs, including the Children's Bedroom exhibit, opens

Thomas Johnson's Life History*
  • 1732 - Born in Calvert County, Maryland
  • 1753 - Admittance to the Maryland Bar
  • 1760 - Admittance to the Frederick County Bar
  • 1762 - Delegate to the Provincial Assembly in Annapolis on the Committee for the Construction of the Maryland State House
  • 1766 - Marries Ann Jennings
  • 1774 - Delegate to the First Continental Congress
  • 1775 - Nominates George Washington to become the Commander in Chief of the Continental Army
  • 1776 - Becomes Commander of the Maryland Militia
  • 1777 - Elected by Congress as Maryland's first Governor
  • 1778 - Purchases 225 acres of land known as Rose Garden in Frederick and changes the name to Rose Hill
  • 1779 - Purchases land north of Frederick, named Richfield, where he builds his Frederick County home
  • 1780 - Becomes Member of the Maryland State Legislature
  • 1785 - Becomes President of the Potowmack River Project
  • 1788 - Gives Rose Hill to his daughter
  • 1791 - On the Board to develop the Federal City; he was the one to first recommend that the city be called Washington
  • 1791 - Becomes an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court and authors the first opinion
  • 1800 - Gives a eulogy for George Washington at the Frederick memorial service on February 22, which becomes his last act in public service
  • 1800 - Listed on the 1800 census as living at Rose Hill Manor in Frederick with his daughter and her family
  • 1819 - Dies at age 87 at Rose Hill and is buried in Mt. Olivet Cemetery in Frederick, MD

*These facts can be referenced in a pamphlet printed by the RHMC and on sale in the Rose Hill Museum Store.