Commission For Women
FREDERICK COUNTY COMMISSION FOR WOMEN
The Next Meeting will be held Monday, September 18, 2023
At Winchester Hall in the 1st Floor Hearing Room
This meeting will be streamed live for the public to observe on the Frederick County Boards and Commissions Facebook page, which is available at: https://www.facebook.com/FredCoMdBoards
In order to listen to this meeting toll-free, please dial 855-925-2801, enter code 4236 and select *1.
Confirm meeting dates by calling the 301-600-1066 or email.
Individuals requiring accommodations for a disability or language translation should contact the Commission for Women at 301-600-1066 or dial 711 for Maryland Relay Services at least three (3) working days prior to the meeting.
COVID-19 and Women
According to Wenham, Smith and Morgan, 2020, sex-disaggregated data for COVID-19 show equal numbers of cases between men and women so far. When looking at the recent social distancing measures imposed the impact of care and support may be gendered.
The closure of schools to control COVID-19 might have a differential effect on women, who “provide most of the informal care within families, with the consequence of limiting their work and economic opportunities.”
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (2020) noted that another gendered impact may be the unknown impact to pregnant women and infants. Even now very little is known about COVID-19, particularly related to its effect on pregnant women and infants, and there currently are no recommendations specific to pregnant women regarding the evaluation or management of COVID-19 so the same precautions above apply.
Some populations may be at increased risk during this time of heightened stress and social distancing. Please know that you are not alone. Many service providers are available now if you need help. Here are some resources of specific interest to women:
BeFree Textline:Text HELP to 233733 (BEFREE) Confidential, 24/7 For Victims of Human Trafficking
National Human Trafficking Hotline 1-888-373-7888 (TTY: 711)
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children 1-800-843-5678 (1-800-THE-LOST)
About the Commission
The Frederick County Commission For Women (FCCFW) is a non-partisan organization tasked with advising Frederick County government on issues affecting women and families in alignment with our mission and purpose as listed below.
The mission of the FCCFW is "to create a stronger community by addressing challenges and fostering unlimited opportunities For All Women".
The purpose of the FCCFW is:
- To provide a central agency for the collection and referral of activities and services of interest to women.
- To promote a positive image of women by recognizing their accomplishments.
- To advocate for the county's constituency to the legislature, the judiciary, the executive, the media, and the public.
- To identify, study, evaluate, and eradicate, as an advocate, discrimination against all women.
- To develop and implement programs that will expand women's educational and employment opportunities.
- To strengthen home life by directing attention to critical problems confronting women.
- To educate women in the process of seeking leadership roles.
- To encourage women to seek political office, either elective or appointive.
- To recommend such procedures, programs, or legislation as it may deem necessary and proper to promote and ensure equal rights and opportunities for all persons, regardless of their gender.
- To advise and counsel the residents of Frederick County and all government agencies on all matters involving the needs of women and especially those matters relating to discrimination or prejudice on account of gender.