Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
Click on 'Hiring Process' to the left of this page to learn more.
FCDFRS recently graduated Recruit Class 32 on September 9, 2022. RC32 began their journey on February 28, 2022 and have been working through Firefighter I, Hazmat Ops, Rescue Tech, Firefighter Survival and Rescue, Arson Detection, and EMT.
Since their graduation the Frederick County Fire and Rescue Services Academy Staff has been working endlessly to get the facility prepped and ready for the start of 2 recruit classes (RC33/RC34) slated to begin on January 30, 2023. With those two classes starting the Division will be opening up a hiring process again on October 31, 2022. This list will be established to hire candidates for RC 35 in April 2023.
Please check back at our website www.frederickfireandrescue.com frequently for updates.
FCDFRS has continued to provide exemplary service to the residents and visitors of Frederick County during a time of the unknown. The need for our services continued and we remained ready to answer the call.
How long is the academy?
- The academy is 28 weeks long.
Do I have to fill out an application before taking the written test?
- Yes, if the position for Firefighter/EMT Recruit is open and accepting applications you must complete an online application HERE prior to sitting for the written exam.
What does the written exam consist of?
- The written examination consists of multiple-choice questions. The exam has four components; video Based Human Relations, Animated Mechanical Aptitude, Reading, and Math.
Do I have to sign up to take the physical test?
- You will be invited to sign up for the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) only if you pass the written entrance exam.
How long will the hiring process take?
- The hiring process involves various steps and could take up to six months. Your cooperation in completing the necessary paperwork at each stage of the process will help make the process quicker.
- Click Here for more Hiring Process information.
When is the next test date?
- The application process is currently closed. Please check back here frequently for upcoming process and test dates.
Where does testing take place?
- All testing is held in Frederick County; exact dates and locations will be posted with the Job Advertisement when it opens
What is the proper attire for written testing?
- Suit and tie are not required.
Is the academy a live-in academy?
- No, the academy is non-residential. The academy is held Monday-Friday, typically from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Based on training needs, some weekends and evening hours are required.
Am I paid while attending the academy?
- Yes, you will be paid at the rate stated on your hire date.
What is the maximum age to become a firefighter/EMT?
- There is no age limit. As long as you're able to pass all phases of the process, you're eligible.
Are there any preferences given?
- Each applicant is evaluated individually throughout the application process. Additional points are given for Higher Education, Paramedic, Volunteer, and Military
Can I go to school while I'm employed with Frederick County Fire and Rescue?
- Yes. The Frederick County Fire and Rescue offers tuition reimbursement at any accredited college of your choice.
After graduating from the academy, can I request an assignment?
- You are assigned based on operational needs. Read further about daily station activities HERE.