- Energy and Environment
- Department of Climate & Energy
- Power Saver Retrofits for Residential Properties
Power Saver Retrofits Program
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE 9th POWER SAVER (PSR9) RETROFIT PROGRAM
To download an application, click here.
View our program flyer in English or en Espanol.
To request an application by mail, contact Lindsey Humphrey at 240-772-0390 or LHumphrey@FrederickCountyMD.gov
POWER SAVER RETROFIT PROGRAM DETAILS
The Division of Energy and Environment receives a grant from the Maryland Energy Administration’s (MEA) and uses it to power up our community services!
For low- to moderate-income households, our Power Saver Retrofits program provides a free assessment of a home's energy use and what improvements might be made to conserve energy. (This process is called a Home Performance with Energy Star audit.) Then, work can be performed to stop drafts, reduce electricity or heating fuel use, and other environmental improvements- all at NO COST to the home's occupants/owners. If the audit determines that a home’s heating and cooling system (HVAC) needs to be replaced, funds may be available for both efficiency improvements and HVAC replacement.
Eligible Energy-saving Projects
- Air sealing and insulation in attics and basements
- Window and door caulking and weather-stripping
- Duct sealing and insulation
- Energy efficient lighting upgrades
- Appliance upgrades to Energy Star models
- Hot water heater replacements with energy efficient heat pump water heaters
- Heating and cooling system tune-ups or upgrades to Energy Star models
- Up to $1,500 on necessary repairs to health and safety issues related to implementing energy saving improvements.
- And more... @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Stove/range/oven upgrades
- Window replacements (unless qualified as a health and safety repair)
- Replacement of a stand-alone furnace or air conditioning unit, without other energy efficiency measures
- Additional duct work to other sections of home @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Eligibility to Participate:
- You must be a Frederick County resident.
- You must be a registered participant in Frederick County’s Green Homes Challenge. Get started!
- Those living in condominiums, mobile homes, and rental properties should contact the PSR Coordinator to discuss eligibility. Please call 240-772-0390 or email Sustainability@FrederickCountyMD.gov.
- The gross household income of homeowners must be less than 85% of median income for Frederick County based on family size (see chart below).
Gross Income Limits by Household Size:
If you do not meet these income requirements but are interested in getting an energy audit and reducing the cost of retrofits through rebates, check out the Potomac Edison Home Performance with Energy Star program.
The Washington Gas Maryland Existing Home Program offers rebates for Washington Gas customers who upgrade to high efficiency furnaces, boilers, water heaters (storage and tankless), and clothes dryers. For more information and to get started, visit WashingtonGasRebates.com/MDhome.
Power Saver Retrofits is funded by the Maryland Energy Administration (MEA). Funding comes from MEA’s Strategic Energy Investment Fund. No tax dollars are used to fund this program.