Bicycle and Pedestrian Planning
Plans and Documents
Bicycle and Pedestrian Feasibility Studies
Frederick and Pennsylvania Line Railroad Trail Project
The Frederick County Division of Planning and Permitting held a Public Meeting on June 24, 2021 regarding the Frederick and Pennsylvania Line Railroad Trail Project. The meeting provided introductory information regarding the project and was an opportunity for members of the public to ask questions and offer comments. It focused on the first phase of the project: construction of a 10-foot-wide asphalt trail from Monocacy Boulevard to Fountain Rock Park in Walkersville within the MDOT/MTA-owned right-of-way.
- Meeting Agenda
- Frederick and Pennsylvania Line Railroad Trail Project Map
- Frederick and Pennsylvania Line Railroad Trail Project Drawings
- Frederick and Pennsylvania Rail Trail 65 Percent Plan Set
New Design Road Side Path Project
- New Design Road Side Path Project Map
- New Design Road Side Path 30 Percent Plan Set
- New Design Road Side Protected Bike Line FAQ
Frederick County updated its first Bikeways and Trails Plan in July 2018, which addresses both on-street bicycle facilities and off-street trails. This plan proposes a county wide network of on-street bikeways and off-street trails.
The on-street bikeways would make use of existing shoulders and also identify which roads should be targeted for improvements to add shoulders for use as bike lanes. The proposed network includes county, municipal, and state roads. The plan identifies off-street trail corridors to accommodate either multi-use trails (for walking/running and bicycle use) or natural surface trails (for hiking and mountain biking). Equestrian use may also be permitted on these trails.
- Bikeways and Trails Plan Map
- Bikeways and Trails Plan (2018)
- Bikeways and Trails Design Standards (2003)
- Frederick County Bicycle Parking Ordinance and Design Guidelines
- Main Street Connector Study
- Frederick & Pennsylvania Line Railroad Trail Study
For more information, please contact Joe Kelley via phone 240-739-2770 or email.
The City of Frederick has adopted its Shared Use Path Plan in March 2002. This plan focuses on off-street trails/paths and many of the corridors follow those identified in the County’s Bikeways and Trails Plan.
For more information, please contact the City of Frederick Department of Planning at 301-600-1884.
- Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments (MWCOG) Street Smart Bicycle & Pedestrian Safety Information
- Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT) coordinates bicycle and pedestrian planning among its state agencies and provides coordination and technical assistance to local jurisdictions.
- PSA: Bikes on the Road
- MDOT Bicycle and Pedestrian Planning web page
- Bike & Driver Safety Videos
Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee (BPAC)
The Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Committee meets on the 2nd Wednesday of each month at 6:00 p.m. in the 3rd Floor Meeting Room, 12 East Church Street, Frederick or virtually.