Important Dates for the RC28 process
Application : The application period for RC28 is now closed. Please check back for future processes.
Written Exam/CPAT Orientation: October 15, October 16, and October 17, 2019
CPAT Mentorship: October 26, 2019 through December 11, 2019 (exact dates to be released)
CPAT Practice Tests: November 07, November 08, November 16, November 21, and
November 22, 2019
CPAT Final Tests: December 05, December 07, and December 14, 2019
Interviews: November 04-December 17, 2019 (exact dates to be released)
Conditional Offers: end of December 2019
Background/Physical/Psych/Uniform: January 2020
Final Offers: mid February 2020
RC28 Class Start Date: March 16, 2020
On December 21st, Recruit Class 24 completed week 8, of a 28 week academy, performing various search, rescue and rope skills during a live training evolution. Recruit Class 24 utilized Trooper 3 during training and was given the opportunity to meet the flight crew. They learned about the various capabilities of Trooper 3 which provides transport of sick and injured patients to the hospital, searching for missing persons and assisting state and local law enforcement agencies with a variety of missions.
Trooper 3 is one of seven state helicopters, which are stationed by sections within the state of Maryland. Trooper 3 is housed in the "Frederick Section" and responds to Frederick, Washington, Carroll, and northern Montgomery counties which contains extremely diverse terrain. Due to the ever-increasing recreation on the Potomac River, the Appalachian Trail and Maryland’s mountains, there are many opportunities for aerial rescues. In fact, Trooper 3 has completed more hoist missions than all the other sections combined!
Happy Holidays!! Personnel assigned to C-shift in Urbana wanted no child to go without a gift from Santa! On December 18th, they donated a collection of toys, purchased collectively by shift personnel, to students at Urbana Elementary School!
How long is the academy?
- The academy is 28 weeks long.
Do I have to fill out an application before taking the written test?
- Yes, if the position for Firefighter/EMT Recruit is open and accepting applications you must complete and online application HERE prior to sitting for the written exam.
What does the written exam consist of?
- The written examination consists of multiple-choice questions. The exam has four components; video Based Human Relations, Animated Mechanical Aptitude, Reading, and Math.
Do I have to sign up to take the physical test?
- You will be invited to sign up for the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) only if you pass the written entrance exam.
How long will the hiring process take?
When is the next test date?
- Written and physical exams are offered as Frederick County Fire and Rescue needs it. If you fail the written test, you may retest after twelve months. If you fail the physical ability test, you may retake the test the next time it's offered.
Where does testing take place?
- All testing is held in Frederick County; exact dates and locations will be posted with the Job Advertisement when it opens
What is the proper attire for written testing?
- Suit and tie are not required.
Is the academy a live-in academy?
- No, the academy is non-residential. The academy is held Monday-Friday, typically from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Based on training needs, some weekends and evening hours are required.
Am I paid while attending the academy?
- Yes, you will be paid at the rate stated on your hire date.
What is the maximum age to become a firefighter/EMT?
- There is no age limit. As long as you're able to pass all phases of the process, you're eligible.
Are there any preferences given?
- Each applicant is evaluated individually throughout the application process. Additional points are given for Higher Education, Paramedic, Volunteer, and Military
Can I go to school while I'm employed with Frederick County Fire and Rescue?
- Yes. The Frederick County Fire and Rescue offers tuition reimbursement at any accredited college of your choice.
After graduating from the academy, can I request an assignment?
- You are assigned based on operational needs. Read further about daily station activities HERE.