Click on 'Hiring Process' to the left of this page to learn more.
Over the past several months FCDFRS Recruit Class 29 has been working through Firefighter I, Hazmat Ops, Rescue Tech, Firefighter Survival and Rescue, Arson Detection, and EMT. They have an anticipated graduation date of July 16, 2021.
Recruit Class 30 & 31 are slated to begin on July 26, 2021 and candidates from the current process will be finalize in early July. With two recruit classes running concurrently the academy will continue to remain busy delivering the best of the best. Check back soon for details on the next hiring process
FCDFRS has continued to provide exemplary service to the residents and visitors of Frederick County during a time of the unknown. The need for our services continued and we remained ready to answer the call.
How long is the academy?
- The academy is 28 weeks long.
Do I have to fill out an application before taking the written test?
- Yes, if the position for Firefighter/EMT Recruit is open and accepting applications you must complete an online application HERE prior to sitting for the written exam.
What does the written exam consist of?
- The written examination consists of multiple-choice questions. The exam has four components; video Based Human Relations, Animated Mechanical Aptitude, Reading, and Math.
Do I have to sign up to take the physical test?
- You will be invited to sign up for the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) only if you pass the written entrance exam.
How long will the hiring process take?
When is the next test date?
- Tentatively the written test will be offered in January 2021
Where does testing take place?
- All testing is held in Frederick County; exact dates and locations will be posted with the Job Advertisement when it opens
What is the proper attire for written testing?
- Suit and tie are not required.
Is the academy a live-in academy?
- No, the academy is non-residential. The academy is held Monday-Friday, typically from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Based on training needs, some weekends and evening hours are required.
Am I paid while attending the academy?
- Yes, you will be paid at the rate stated on your hire date.
What is the maximum age to become a firefighter/EMT?
- There is no age limit. As long as you're able to pass all phases of the process, you're eligible.
Are there any preferences given?
- Each applicant is evaluated individually throughout the application process. Additional points are given for Higher Education, Paramedic, Volunteer, and Military
Can I go to school while I'm employed with Frederick County Fire and Rescue?
- Yes. The Frederick County Fire and Rescue offers tuition reimbursement at any accredited college of your choice.
After graduating from the academy, can I request an assignment?
- You are assigned based on operational needs. Read further about daily station activities HERE.