FREDERICK, Md. – Eight historically significant rural properties will be preserved through Frederick County’s inaugural Rural Historic Preservation Grant Program, one of only few rural historic preservation programs of its kind. Frederick County Executive Jan Gardner was joined by County Council President M.C. Keegan-Ayer to announce recipients of the competitive grants, which total $358,000.
“Frederick County values its rich history. By protecting our historic and cultural resources, future generations will understand what makes our rural communities distinct and special,” Executive Gardner said. “We are taking action to protect what we value and love about Frederick County.”
The following projects were awarded grants:
Basil Harding Farmhouse –Green Valley Road, New Market. $46,800 to replace the existing roof, which dates back to 1885. The farmhouse was originally constructed around 1800 and has been recommended by the Historic Preservation Commission for listing on the Frederick County Register of Historic Places.
Daniel James Farmhouse – Old Annapolis Road, Mount Airy. $44,625 to restore two chimneys and two of the four elevations of the mid-1800s farmhouse. The farm has been recommended by the HPC for listing on the County Register.
Henry Brandenberg Property (Bidle Hill Farm) – Myersville Road, Myersville. $50,000 to repair several buildings on the farm and replace roofing and other items with materials that more closely match what was originally used in 1818. The brick house is an example of the typical Maryland Piedmont farmhouse and is eligible for listing on the County Register.
Linganore Farmhouse – Linganore Road, Frederick. $45,360 to replace flooring and a roof, and repair 56 windows, shutters and trim on this 1850s structure, which once served as a mill, a distillery, and a resort. The house is a contributing resource for the property’s inclusion on the National Historic Register. The property is also listed on the County Register.
Oakland / Crown Rose Estate – Jefferson Pike, Knoxville. $50,000 to repair leaks, replacing rotting wood, and install exterior storm windows and doors on the estate, which was first built between 1856 and 1860. The property is listed on the County Register.
Rocky Springs School House – Rocky Springs Road, Frederick. $45,526 to rebuild, repair and restore portions of 1830s stone and brick walls in one of the oldest one-room schools remaining in Maryland. Once fully restored, the building will be a public center for historical interpretation and research. The preservation effort won the 2021 Maryland Preservation Award for Excellence by the Maryland Historic Trust. The property has been recommended for listing on the County Register.
Smith’s Store (Thomas A. Smith & c. Store) – Urbana Pike, Urbana. $26,055 to replace roofs and repair exterior wood framing, windows, and damaged bricks. The building was constructed in 1815, with additions made in 1830 and 1860. The structure served as a store, post office, blacksmith shop and tavern. The property is listed on the County Register.
William Downey House – Detrick Road, Mount Airy. $50,000 to repoint mortar joints and replace broken bricks in the exterior walls of the farmhouse, which was built in 1760 and is one the earliest brick homes in the area. The building is listed on the Frederick County Landmarks Foundation’s register of historic places and have been recommended by the HPC for listing on the County Pregister.
For additional information about the Frederick County Rural Historic Preservation Grant Program, visit www.frederickcountymd.gov/7981/Historic-Preservation. Questions about the program can be directed to Amanda Whitmore, Historic Preservation Planner at AWhitmore@FrederickCountyMD.gov.