Who Can Vote? / Registering to Vote / Making Changes to Your Voter Registration
Voter Registration Information
To register to vote in Frederick County, you must meet the following requirements:
- At least 16 years of age (you may register to vote at 16 but cannot vote until at least 18 years of age by the date of the next general or special election
- Not disqualified as outlined by Maryland State law
- Resident of Frederick County
- United States Citizen
To register to vote, a resident must complete a Voter Registration Form and return it to the Board of Elections office. There are several ways to obtain the form:
- Visit Maryland's Online Voter Registration System and apply online.
- Call 301-600-VOTE (8683) to request an application be mailed to you.
- Download an application from the Maryland State Board of Elections website:
Note: If your computer does not have the capability to open a “pdf” file, download the Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Pick up an application at the county libraries, Motor Vehicle Administration, Post Offices, public high schools, Frederick Community College, or the County Courthouse.
- Visit the Board of Elections office to pick up an application. Please call ahead to schedule an appointment. Our address is 8490 Progress Drive, Frederick, MD 21701.
If your application is complete, you are considered a registered voter once you receive your Voter Notification Card. If you do not receive a Voter Notification Card by three weeks after you submit an application, you should call us at 301-600-VOTE (8683). You can also verify whether you are registered to vote by visiting our voter services website. Registration is permanent as long as you continue to live in Maryland and keep your name and address current. You do not have to re-register when you move within the State.
Change of Name or Address
If you have had a change of name or address since the last election, you may request a change of registration form in the same ways as mentioned above.
Change of Party Affiliation
If you would like to change your party affiliation, or to or from declining a party affiliation, you may request a change of registration form in the same ways as mentioned above.
Cancel Voter Registration
You may cancel your registration, or that of a deceased family member by completing this cancellation request form. You can type your information into the form, then print it and sign it. The form may be returned via mail, email or fax.
When to Register
The advanced deadline to register to vote, update your registration, or change your party affiliation is 21 days before the election.
If you miss the deadline or a change happens within the 21-day period, you can also register or update your information during early voting or on election day.
State Election Information
To find out more about the election process, please visit the Maryland State Board of Elections website.
Remember that you are not a registered voter until you receive your Voter Notification Card.