Running for Office
|Candidate filing for the 2024 Presidential Primary Election is open through January 19, 2024.|
NOTE: The Board of Elections office is open by appointment only.
Schedule your appointment to pick up the application materials or to file and pay by calling 301-600-VOTE (8683) or emailing
Appointments are available Tuesday, Thursday and Friday between 9 am and 3 pm.
STATE AND FEDERAL OFFICES
State and Federal candidates must file at the Maryland State Board of Elections, 151 West Street, in Annapolis. Find out how to file for State and Federal offices by calling 800-222-VOTE (8683) or clicking here.
FREDERICK COUNTY OFFICES
Candidates for Frederick County elected offices will file at our office, located at 340A Montevue Lane, in Frederick.
- You'll need to complete a candidate packet for the office you're seeking to file. You can download the candidate information sheet but will pick up the remaining forms at our office. NOTE: The Board of Elections office is open by appointment only. Please call 301-600-8683 or email ElectionBoard@FrederickCountyMD.gov to schedule. Appointments are available Tuesday, Thursday and Friday between 9 am and 3 pm.
- Once you fill out the packet, you'll make an appointment to file the papers with the Board and pay the filing fee.
- The candidate filing fee varies from $10 to $25, depending on the office you're seeking. We accept cash or check for your filing fee. Checks may be made out to the Frederick County Board of Elections.
- Make sure you bring proof you have set up a candidate committee in Maryland's Campaign Finance System.
- If you're planning to use a nickname, or alternative name on the ballot, you'll need to complete this form.
While you're welcome to complete these forms when you come to the office to file, you'll save yourself some time if you complete as much as possible in advance.
If you have any questions, please see below, or call our office at 301-600-VOTE (8683) and we'll be happy to help.
Remember the filing deadline is Friday, January 19, 2024 at 9 pm. We'll be open until 9pm that day, but you need to be at our office by 8:30 pm and have an appointment. We expect it will be busy throughout the day, so we recommend that you file before the deadline.
Need More Information?
- Candidate Finances
Call the State Board of Elections on 800-222-VOTE for details about fund-raising, financial disclosure forms, taxable political funds, and financial filing deadlines, or follow the link above.
- Candidate Requirements
Call the Board of Elections on 301-600-VOTE for requirements regarding campaign activity, fair election practices, and election related signs, or follow the link above.
- Qualifications for Elected Office
Call the Board of Elections on 301-600-VOTE for information on any elected office and their respective qualifications, filing requirements, and fees, or follow the link above.